Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Motohiko Odani

Today's Japanese artist is Motohiko Odani. (小谷元彦)

Odani was born in Kyoto, and received both a BA and MA at Tokyo National University of Fine Art and Music (which I just realized was the school I have dreamt of attending! Ha. They changed the name.) He primarily creates sculptural art, but also occasionally branches out to photo, video, or whatever suits his inspiration. 


Much of his art is based around the body, and often utilizes repetitive elements of the body to create elaborate forms. Since my favourite "colour" is white (you will probably be seeing more white/pale things!), I absolutely love his installation of white things, which I believe to be called "Phantom Limb," but I could be mistaken.


These figures are constructed from a combination of Fibre-Reinforced Plastic (FRP), paint, and other media. With this material, he has created a massive collection of tiny strands that give a drippy, rippling appearance. 


It astonishes me how much detail and painstaking effort went into this, as I understand FRP is a difficult and stubborn media to work with. Odani's highly detailed work epitomizes why so many of my favourite artists are Japanese. 


Although all of the intricate white things are what got me hooked, he has many other interesting works of art that you should check out. I won't overload you with images here! 
All images are from the page for Motohiko Odani on the Yamamoto Gendai website.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got these images from a museum website because I couldn't find photos of the pieces I wanted to show. I thought museum pages were usually okay? I searched, even in Japanese, and there appears to be no way to actually contact him for permission. He has almost no internet presence aside from countless posts by other people. I could probably go through Yamamoto Gendai or Mori Bijutsukan and attempt to get a response and stuff, but I don't have the time for that. Would deleting this post all together alleviate this "warning?"

      Delete
  2. Ummm... whopps.

    Just wanted to said I am very impressed with his artwork I will google him right now and see if I can find more. I will follow your blog, you are teaching me a lot about japanese culture.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can help! :D I hope I'll be able to post a lot more awesome artists!

      Delete
  3. Great artist! Sorry about the warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks. It's okay.. Mike and I talked about it. Not really sure what to do - There appears to be no way to contact the artist, aside from trying to get to him through another organization.

      Delete